A skilled legal practitioner with over 30 years of experience as a tax attorney and business adviser, Jonathan Brenner counsels businesses and high-net-worth individuals on the most tax-efficient structures for their complex domestic and cross-border transactions. Mr. Brenner brings to his practice a broad and deep understanding of the tax law, as well as the accounting, business, and legal issues that affect his clients' interests.
U.S. and foreign businesses, U.S. citizens, expatriates, and foreign nationals seek his guidance in matters involving domestic and cross-border fund formation, fund management, mergers and acquisitions, executive compensation and real estate, among others. He has extensive experience working with U.K. and Luxembourg tax, corporate and regulatory counsel on issues involving funds and fund management.
Mr. Brenner is listed as a recommended attorney in The Legal 500, a publication that recognizes leading practitioners, assesses the strengths of law firms, and highlights the practice area teams providing the most cutting edge and innovative advice to corporate counsel.
Illustrations of how Mr. Brenner serves his clients include:
- Represented principals in establishing, operating, and restructuring hedge fund, LBO, venture capital, and real estate investment partnerships and management companies with respect thereto.
- Served as outside general counsel and supervised the operations of a family office/captive hedge fund. Oversaw relationships with regulatory counsel, administrators, custodians, auditors, and prime brokers.
- Served as principal advisor to a hedge fund executive in setting up his own fund structure, supervising all tax planning, legal structuring, transfer pricing, and documentation issues.
- Represented numerous high-level executives, either joining or leaving fund management companies, in substantial executive compensation negotiations.
- Restructured U.S. and U.K. management companies for a family of event-driven funds following the retirement of the founding principal.
- Served as principal advisor to a manufacturing company through two successive LBOs.
- Restructured a manufacturing company to accommodate future acquisitions and incentivize management.
- Recapitalized the management company for a family of real estate funds to provide for succession planning.
Mr. Brenner stays well-versed in the latest developments in his practice area as an active member of the American Bar Association and the New York State Bar Association's Committee on Corporations, Tax Section.