In 2014, Ross Sharkey joined Caplin & Drysdale as an Associate in the firm's Washington, D.C., office. He was previously law clerk to the Honorable Joseph H. Gale of the United States Tax Court.
Mr. Sharkey assists corporations, nonprofits, and wealthy individuals in resolving a wide range of federal tax issues. Illustrations of his legal services include:
- defending clients under civil examination by the IRS, often in cases involving accuracy-related or fraud penalties;
- representing individuals and businesses in administrative proceedings before IRS Appeals and in U.S. Tax Court litigation;
- counseling clients with potential offshore and domestic compliance issues and assisting them with voluntarily disclosing noncompliance to the IRS;
- advising on FATCA compliance and offshore asset reporting; and
- assisting clients under criminal investigation